Vernon W Layton / B. Giddings / F. Fleetwood / A. Fikis / W. Surk.” Probably at Fort Ord, Monterey Bay, California. 1944
Click here to see the story by Thomas B. Noland, under Tribute to the Veterans tab, as well as a tribute to William C. Ellis, PFC
Roster of 593rd A-H derived from Down Ramp, sorted by company
HISTORY OF THE UNIT:
1. Station at activation 6 August 1942, Camp Edwards, Mass.
2. Hq. and Hq. Company and 1st Battalion, 593rd EBR moved from Camp Edwards, Mass. to Camp Cotuit, Mass., 17 August 1942.
3. 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 593rd EBR moved from Camp Edwards, Mass. to Camp Cotuit, Mass., 2 September 1942.
4. 1st Battalion and 2/3 Hq. and Hq. Company and Medical Detachment 593rd E[?]R moved with 2nd Battalion 533rd ESR from Camp Cotuit, Mass. to Camp Carrabelle, Florida 1 November 1942. 2nd and 3rd Battalions 593rd E[ ]R and balance of Hq. and Hq. Company and Medical Detachment followed movement of 1st Battalion to Camp Carrabelle, Florida.
5. 593rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment moved in echelons from Camp Gordon Johnston, (Carrabelle) Florida to East Garrison, Fort Ord, California commencing 17 April 1943.
6. Selected boat personnel of 593rd EAR and 4th Engineer Amphibian Brigade departed Camp Gordon Johnston, Florida 28 March 1943 by boat Convoy consisting of 31 LCMs, 2 LCVs, 2 LCPLs 1 – 18 Utility Boat, and 2 J type staff boats, arriving at Camp Edwards, Mass. 5 May 1942. 593rd EAR boat convoy personnel departed Camp Edwards by rail 15 May 1943, rejoining Regiment at East Garrison, Fort Ord, California 20 May 1943.
7. Specified units of 593rd EB & SR departed East Garrison, Fort Ord, California in echelons by motor convoy, commencing 22 May 1943, for training in anti-aircraft firing at Leach Lake, California. Training periods for each group lasted approximately one week with selected Shore Battalion personnel and all units of Boat Battalion participating.
8. Boat Battalion departed East Garrison, Fort Ord, California 5 July 1943 for Santa Cruz, California for training in swimming and boat operation.
9. Selected personnel of Shore Battalion departed East Garrison, Fort Ord, California 12 July 1942 for Oakland, California for stevedore instruction.
10. Regiment moved from East Garrison to Main Garrison.
11. Boat Battalion returned to Fort Ord 27 July 1943 after having completed a 38 mile march from Santa Cruz.
12. Shore Battalion and Hq. and Hq. Company departed Fort Ord 28 July 1943 for Santa Cruz, California for swimming instructions.
13. Shore Battalion and Hq. and Hq. Company returned to Fort Ord from Santa Cruz, 21 August 1943.
14. Shore Battalion departed Fort Ord 21 November 1943 for Camp Stoneman, California staging area, arriving same date.
15. Shore Battalion departed Camp Stoneman 23 November 1943, embarking on transport USS West Point, and debarking at Milne Bay, New Guinea, 11 December 1943.
16. Boat Battalion and Hq, and Hq. Company departed Fort Ord, California 12 December 1943 for Camp Stoneman staging area.
17. Advance echelon Shore Battalion departed Milne Bay 14 December 1943 for Goodenough Island by landing craft. Movement of entire Battalion completed 27 December 1943.
18. Hq. and Hq. Company and Boat Battalion departed Camp Stoneman 8 January 1944, embarking aboard the USAT Sea Flasher, and departing 2 February 1944 at Goodenough Island.
19. Advance echelon of Regiment departed Goodenough Island 9 February 1944 by landing craft for Finschafen, New Guinea, arriving 26 February.
20. Companies B and E departed Goodenough Island 24 February 1944 by organic landing craft for Finschafen, New Guinea, arriving 26 February.
21. Company E arrived Arawe, New Britain 28 February 1944.
22. Company B departed Finschafen 4 March 1944 for Arawe, New Britain by organic craft.
23. Company E departed Arawe 17 March 1944 for Finschafen.
24. Regimental S-2 Section completed 19 March 1944 patrol work started 6 March at Subdidi and Gasmata.
25. Elements of Hq. and Hq. Company and Shore Battalion less Company E departed Goodenough Island 19 March 1944 by LST for Finschafen arriving 21 March 1944.
26. Remaining elements of Hq. and Hq. Company, Boat Battalion Hq. and Hq. Company and Company A departed Goodenough Island 27 March 1944 by organic craft for Finschafen arriving 29 March.
27. Shore Battalion and Company A departed Finschafen 18 April 1944 for combat landing at Aitape, New Guinea landing 22 April.
28. Company C arrived Madang, New Guinea 28 April 1944 landing an Australian Regiment.
29. Shore Battalion departed Aitape 15 May 1944 for combat landing 17 May aa Arara, Dutch New Guinea. E Company made combat landing 18 May at Wakde Island.
30. Hq. and Hq. Cmpany fepartd Finschaffen 18 June for Arara, arriving 22 June 1944.
31. Company B arrived by organic craft at Arara from Arawe, New Britain, 30 June 1944.
**32. Shore Battalion made combat landing 2 July 1944 at Noemfoor Island.** Personal narrative written a few days later found below
33. Hq. and Hq. Company arrived Noemfoor Island 11 July from Arara.
34. B Company arrived Noemfoor Island 21 August 1944 by organic craft from Arara.
35. Hq. Company Boat Battalion arrived Noemfoor Island from Finschhafen 2 September 1944.
36. Company A arroved Noemfoor Island 13 October 1944 from Aitape.
37. One platoon, Company B, departed Noemfoor Island 13 January 1945 for Sansapor, Dutch New Guinea.
38. Company C departed Madang 31 January 1945 for Aitape, arriving 2 February 1945.
39. Company F departed Noemfoor Island 13 February for Biak Island.
40. Company F returned 4 March 1945 to Noemfoor Island.
41. Company B departed Noemfoor 2 April by organic craft, platoon at Sansapor joined and company arrived Morotai 6 April 1945.
42. Company C departed Aitape 17 April by organic craft and arived Morotai 3 May 1945.
43. Boat Battalion Hq and Hq Company and Company A departed Noemfoor Island 20 April by organic craft arriving Morotai 24 April 1945.
44. Company B staging from Morotai 27 April made combat landing with Australian forces at Tarakan Island, Borneo 1 May 1945.
45. Shore Battalion, Hq and Hq Company and Company D departed Noemfoor 7 May 1945, arriving Batangas, Luzon, P.I. 18 May.
46. Company F and elements of Hq an Hq Company departed Noemfoor 24 May 1945 arriving Batangas 1 June.
47. Company B departed Takan Island 31 May 1945 by organic craft arriving Labuan Island, Borneo 11 June.
48. Boat Battalion Hq and Hq Company and Company C departed Morotai 3 June 1945 and made combat landing 10 June 1945 at Labuan Island, Borneo.
49. Company A departed Morotai 26 June 1945 making combat landing at Balikpapan, Borneo 1 July 1945.
50. Company E and remaining elements of Hq an Hq Company departed Noemfoor 14 July arriving Batangas 24 July 1945.
51. Regiment less Boat Battalion departed Batangas 25 September landing at Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan 5 October 1945.
52. Company a departed Balikpapan 28 October arriving Batangas 5 November 1945.
53. Boat Battalion less Company A departed Labuan Island 30 October arriving Batangas 4 November 1945.
54. Regiment less Boat Battalion departed Otaru 20 November by rail, arriving 4th Replacement Depot Annex #1, Yokohama, Japan 23 November 1945.
55. Regiment less Boat Battalion embarked 7 December 1945 at Yokohama aboard USAT Sea Runner, arriving Portland, Oregon 19 December 1945.
56. Boat Battalion embarked on or about 2 December 1945 at Batangas, Luzon, P.I., arriving Camp Stoneman, California 19 December 1945.
History adapted from http://ebsr.net/593rdEBSR.htm
If you have additions or corrections please contact us at email@example.com
Dear Family 1944 WWII 593rd Engineers Boat & Shore Regiment Memoir