In addition to its principal task of training the infantry divisions at Carrabelle, the Amphibious Training Center carried on some incidental training activities. Tests in connection with the use of Chemical Warfare units in shore-to-shore operations which had been started at Camp Edwards were continued on an increased scale at Carrabelle. The 78th Smoke Generator Company, which had started the work at Edwards, was ordered out for overseas assignment before the Center left that station and the 79th Smoke Generator Company was sent to Carrabelle to carry on the tests. This company worked in conjunction with the Amphibious Training Center and the Engineer Amphibian Brigade in determining tactics and technique of smoking hostile beaches to screen the approach of landing craft. Tests were also conducted using the 4.2″ chemical mortar mounted in landing craft firing HE and white phosphorous projectiles onto the shore. The work was done under the direction of the Chemical Warfare Amphibious Project which was organized at Carrabelle on 5 November 1942 by the Chief of the Chemical Warfare Service on direction of the War Department.21 Companies of the 2d and 3d Chemical Battalions were rotated through the Center between 15 November 1942 and 10 March 1943, to participate in this training.
The 302d Coast Artillery Barrage Balloon Special Platoon was attached to the Center on 15 November 1942 from the Barrage Balloon Training Center at Camp Tyson, Tennessee, for the purpose of training and experimentation in amphibious operations. Activities of the platoon were directed by its commanding officer and by the coast artillery officer (Lt. Col. M. E. Thompson) on the special staff of the Center, and were carried out in conjunction with the 3d Brigade and the student divisions. Balloons were transported on landing craft to protect the forces during the water crossing, and after the landing was made they were set up on the beach to protect shore installations and beach supply dumps. But the electrical storm which interrupted the 28th Division maneuver destroyed all of them.
Two communications squadrons of the II Air Support Command were also trained at the Center in their functions with regard to air support of a shore-to-shore operation. The 6th Communication Squadron was trained from 6 December to 19 December 1942; and the 7th Communication Squadron was trained from 24 December 1942 to 21 March 1943. Both squadrons had an opportunity to participate in a division landing exercise and to provide communications for the air support of the landings.
The 377th Coast Artillery Battalion (AA) (AW) was trained from 14 January 1943 to 4 April 1943, in the tactics and technique of antiaircraft automatic weapons units in amphibious warfare. This unit also participated in the division exercises, furnishing protection of beach dumps and installations.
The 28th Infantry Division was the last reinforced division to be trained by the Amphibious Training Center. The uncertainty prevailing at the time when the training of that unit was completed made it appear improbable that any more units would be trained in the near future. In the middle of March the uncertainty was resolved when General Keating was informed by Army Ground Forces that the Center was to be disbanded.
Training was revived on a reduced scale in April, when three separate battalions were sent to the Center for basic amphibious training.22